Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The C*nfeder#cy?


I don’t understand the American South and the whole Confederate Pride thing. From my perspective in the original Northwest Territory, it’s bigotry and nothing more. I admit that there could be something I just don’t see, but it completely eludes my northern eyes.
I’ve heard the southern claims that America’s Civil War was fought over states’ rights, not slavery. Yeah, sure. I understand the correlation, but the fact is that keeping slaves was the only right in doubt! Plain and simple, that war was about slavery.
Consequently, the phrase “Confederate Hero” is an oxymoron to me. I think the Confederate flag is a symbol of racism. The way I see it, honoring Confederates is akin to honoring Nazis. Confederacy seems like a dirty word. Pride in it seems outrageous and I’m embarrassed by it. I really don’t get this!
My boss recently vacationed in the south where a memorial to Lee, Davis and Jackson is carved into the side of a mountain. This memorial is in the middle of an amusement park with a diverse mix of visitors. Why would black people patronize that? Why would anyone? She said it made her uncomfortable, which I was pleased to hear; at least I’m not alone.
So, what say you, Southerners? Please explain to this Yankee how Confederate Pride is anything other than a widespread tolerance of racism.

No comments:

Post a Comment