Monday, March 11, 2013

Lifeguarding

I’m taking a class to become certified by the Red Cross as a lifeguard. I spent the weekend drilling all the rescues over and over; it’s quite a workout. I did take this class nearly 40 years ago and I am struck by how much safer lifeguarding is now. The fact is, when you approach someone who is drowning, they will use you to stay afloat, so being held under the surface is a big danger. Now, guards always carry buoyant “tubes” which are kept between themselves and the victims. We are also taught how to “escape” from victims who may injure us.

I am at least twice as old as anyone in the class, but I can manage. My intention is to be a little more qualified to spend a couple weeks each summer working at a YMCA camp, so it will all be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment