Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Blizzard of 2011?


We’re getting a blizzard! They’re calling for over a foot of snow and I’m excited!
I’m not really a fan of snow or cold weather. I try to engage in some wintertime activities, but I prefer to be in water in the summer. I do get a kick out of the challenge, though. I like the Man-Overcomes-Nature’s-Adversity thing.
This storm is predicted to be the worst since 1967! I have no idea what happened then, but I recall the Blizzard of ‘78 well. The snowmobilers that had previously been perceived as playing around suddenly gained status, as they were serving as emergency messengers. Folks who were stranded in their cars were being rescued and we had a week (or more!) off school. At one point, the city sent a snowplow to transport my mom to help deliver a baby; they brought her home soon, though, as it was a false labor.
Ever since then, I have a carried a candle and matches in a coffee can in my trunk. This is supposed to provide heat in your car, but I had an opportunity to test the theory earlier this winter and was unimpressed. There are some die-hard survivalists with a better version, though; see it here: http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/how-to-make-a-survival-heater-for-your-car/ .
It’s exciting that this may be one of the worst blizzard of my lifetime. It even makes it worth having to get rid of all that snow!

1 comment:

  1. I'm right there with ya Sista! LOVE IT! I love the idea that we are snowed in. I totally remember the blizzard of 78'. The farmers dug us out of Morocco Rd. Now if everyone can get their kids to go outside and play in it. Uh what a novel idea. Enjoy your snow days! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete