Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Tridges

The latest thing to grab my fancy is three-way bridges. In a lot of places, these are called a tridge. I don’t know how I learned about them, but now I want to visit as many as I can.
There are a couple of pedestrian tridges very near to me. The first one is in Depot Town, the old city center of Ypsilanti, MI. Depot Town is a trendy, historical district. I once took an architectural tour of this area for an arts class; it was amazing. This bridge leads from both banks of the Huron River to Frog Island, where lots events are held during Depot Town festivals. The bird’s-eye view is thanks to the driving bridge that crosses the river just overhead.
The second picture is in Brighton, MI, which has experienced a tremendous population explosion over the last decade. It’s an upscale destination town, so there are lots of pedestrian areas. This tridge crosses a pond, right in the center of downtown, so it sees a lot of traffic.
I have another tridge to visist soon, in Midland, MI. The one I’m really looking forward to, though, is in Zanesville, OH. It’s a driving tridge!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that's why you have to go to Zanesville. I would like to see that too.

    ReplyDelete