Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Changing Tastes

Do our taste buds change through the years? My tastes seem to be completely different than before.
My new likes are swiss cheese, scalloped corn and lima beans, none of which I would get near as a kid. Refried beans, which used to make me ill within 5 minutes, are now a favorite.
Some foods I used to eat disgust me now, too. Mayonnaise doesn’t work for me. I think that “American cheese” is an oxymoron. I don’t really like milk, anymore. I think I used to eat shrimp and lobster just because they were fun to eat, but I’m over it, now.
As a kid, I liked ham. My mom used to mix mayo and mustard; we called it “ham sauce” and thought it was a real treat. But, I’ve been having some trouble with ham over the last few years. All I can think about is a cute, little pig rolling around in the mud with his doting mother. I don’t know if it’s because the meat is pink and seems more life-like, but in mid-chew, I get freaked out and I can’t seem to get beyond it. This adorable piglet keeps dancing around in my head.

If I go vegetarian again, ham will be what pushes me over the edge, I’m sure. To hell with Anthony Bourdain!
I started avoiding salt when I first met Butch because he’d had a heart attack. Through the years, I think I subconsciously came to view it as poison. My doc once prescribed me sodium tablets because I was sodium deficient. Even though my blood pressure was ridiculously low and I kept passing out, I couldn’t put the pills in my mouth. All that ran through my head was, “You’re an American; you get too much salt.”
(Wow, I’m really nuts! Pigs playing, salt as poison . . . Maybe I'll be able to submit this post to a psych doc for evaluation someday.)
My dessert preferences have changed, too. I used to believe that if it wasn’t chocolate, there was no point. Now, like the rest of the world, I consider fruit a dessert. I’m even excited about berry season this year, so I can make pies. Years ago, I made pies for a local market. I made a LOT of pies, and then went through a little rebellion of refusal. Most of the time, I really hate the kitchen. But, my brother-in-law is taking chemo and he wanted a lemon meringue pie, so I made one recently. That usually starts a cycle for me and there’s no better time than berry season to be on a pie-making kick! (However, pineapple meringue sure sounds good!)
Has everybody’s taste changed like this? I imagine I'll order liver and oysters-on-the-half-shell next??

No comments:

Post a Comment